Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Raping Anderson Cooper, again and again

I am sick of all the speculation over the private life of Anderson Cooper. Maybe those obsessed with it are more "sick" than me. Other than mine, I don't really care much about who sleeps with whom. That kind of American Obssesion only help to distract public focus of the things that really matter. Just check today's most popular news... Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton eating together wins over a landslide to the North Korea story.

Today I was censored, again, by a blog administrator. Me and my big mouth! In no way I'm re-printing the original post of that site because its content goes against the editorial lines of THIS blog, but the money quote was:

"Today is a free comment day. Only one rule, it's gotta be about Andy and only Andy or at least closely related to Andy, 'cause all I want today is Andy, Andy and more Andy. (P.S. I've been listening to Ta-Dah while writing this post.... She's my man, And we got all the balls we need....)"

Talking about Hezbollah and media manipulations...

My deleted answer:

"Do you have any proof, other than rumors, speculation, and unreliable sources or a direct answer from him that can prove your statement?I think the speculation is completely rude and out of order. It is nobody business. It is not news or for public consumption. Unless he is a pedophile or a rapist. His sexual orientation, whatever it is, is for his own pleasure and with whom he wish to share it. Two's company three is a crowd. And the last time I checked, the privacy of a bedroom was still protected constitutionally. It is very sad that after all the kudos he received for the Congo coverage, particularly for the stories of the rapes, he has to tolerate the RAPE OF HIS PRIVACY. Again and again. What does people gain with this? How this affect the world? Are people sleeping better and more safetly after Thomas Roberts announced he was gay? The world is still the same. And we are not making it better violating Constitutional or Human Rights."

At our website: www.freakspeaker.com we did an indepth analyis over censorship and blogs. When The Search For Entertainment Crashes Against Constitutional Rights, in where we explore different angles of the blog business, In Gossip Blogs: Freedom of Speech or Blunt Opportunism, we profile Nick Denton and his blogosphere empire, the product of Appreciation vs Obsession, Stalking and the Dan Rather case, where his assaultant was convicted for murdering a NBC stagehand in 1994.

Being a blogger or a webmaster doesn't give you a free pass for publishing everything. It is ruled by the same responsibilities that other media outlets have.

In order to help the blog community we have two important resources at our website ( www.freakspeaker.com) the
Legal Guidelines For Bloggers And Webmasters, the BBC's guide, How to Avoid Libel and Defamation and SHOULD I BELIEVE IT?: A GUIDE TO CRITICAL EVALUATION OF BLOGS, IMAGES AND NEWS.

Some quick FACTS:

Do blogs have the same constitutional protections and responsibilities as mainstream media?
Yes. The US Supreme Court has said that "in the context of defamation law, the rights of the institutional media are no greater and no less than those enjoyed by other individuals and organizations engaged in the same activities."

What are private facts?
Private facts are personal details about someone that have not been disclosed to the public. A person's sexual orientation, a sex-change operation, and a private romantic encounter could all be private facts. Once PUBLICLY DISCLOSED BY THAT PERSON, however, they move into the public domain.

What is defamation?
Generally, defamation is a false and unprivileged statement of fact that is harmful to someone's reputation, and published "with fault," meaning as a result of negligence or malice. State laws often define defamation in specific ways. Libel is a written defamation; slander is a spoken defamation.
What is a statement of verifiable fact?
A statement of verifiable fact is a statement that conveys a provably false factual assertion, such as someone has committed murder or has cheated on his spouse.

What is "Libel Per Se"?

  • Charges any person with crime, or with having been indicted, convicted, or punished for crime;
  • Imputes in him the present existence of an infectious, contagious, or loathsome disease;
  • Tends directly to injure him in respect to his office, profession, trade or business, either by imputing to him general disqualification in those respects that the office or other occupation peculiarly requires, or by imputing something with reference to his office, profession, trade, or business that has a natural tendency to lessen its profits;
  • Imputes to him impotence or a want of chastity.

What is a "false light" claim?

Information presented in a "false light" is portrayed as factual, but creates a false impression about the plaintiff (i.e., a photograph of plaintiffs in an article about sexual abuse, because it creates the impression that the depicted persons are victims of sexual abuse). False light claims are subject to the constitutional protections discussed above.

We would really like to know your opinion about this. Do you really think it is cool to invade Anderson Cooper's private life, if it is fair game... or are me on the right track.

Freak Back!

16 comentarios:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking a stand about this. I adore Anderson and it is very sad that people who claim to be his are fans only focusing in the gossip side of his live. Is like the posting of the photo of Carter's funeral. Just sick. Anderson doesn't deserve that.

Anonymous said...

christiane -- I posted a detailed answer on that blog where your comment was deleted (which was a shock to me since it was civilized and informative) so you can read it before they deleted it too -)
Martha --glad you found this blog!

Anonymous said...

you know, they have 10 most popular stories on CNN (forgot which show), based on their website visits, and sometimes you want to scream.

Lee said...

Christiane. Thank you. I know you've commented on this before on other blogs and been attacked for it. A lot of us agree with you.

I haven't had a lot of time to read what you've posted here but I'm really impressed with this blog.

MediaDoc said...

Martha Welcome to our blog.
Ivy, thanks!
Lee, we really appreciate your opinion. Your posts at other blogs have always been insigtful and respectful. We hope to see you frequently here.

THANKS!

Anonymous said...

@lee!! How I'm glad to see you! You weren't appearing too much lately and I miss you! Hope to see more of you, anywhere.

@christiane -- I don't think they're getting it. -(

Anonymous said...

Europeans look at Americans "who's gay" obsession and see it as very childish. Why is every public person expected to whore out his/her private life for the media? Also the above post on Mr Pearl got me thinking that Anderson goes to many cultures where Old Testament ideas of morality prevail. He's obviously comfortable with who he is, unlike the people who trash him.

Lee said...

Hi, Ivy. It's good to see you, too. I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks but I should have more time now.

Christiane. Thanks. I always thought my comments were respectful but, somehow, I still manage to get into trouble.

MediaDoc said...

so this blog should be renamed the shelter for trouble makers?

I like freaks and troublemakers!

Anonymous said...

@lee and annick -- I enjoy you comments, I'm glad if you're here -)

@christiane -- looks like it -) don't they say --"it's all in the name"? -lol

Jennifer said...

Christiane...great post!

I agree with 90% of what you wrote, however, here is my two cents worth.

Cooper is somewhat responsible for the questions around the issue of his sexuality by dodging the question, which is his right, when asked directly. Being a public persona he has to expect that the answer of "I don't talk about my personal life" doesn't fly. He certainly talks about his personal life when he makes appearances or promotes his book.

However, just because we can ask the questions as journalists, doesn’t mean that we should. News and entertainment are almost the same these days and the lines are most certainly blurred between right and wrong. People who claim to respect Cooper need to ask themselves if his sexuality really makes a difference when it comes to reporting the news.

And, I would be lying if I said I didn't ever wonder is he or isn't he...but, until Cooper makes that decision to be honest about his life, I'll keep my speculation to myself.

courtney01 said...

Looks like I missed all the excitement tonight.

Damn school. :P

Welcome Martha, Annick, and Lee! Glad to have you here.

Anonymous said...

@jade - one thing to talk in private, another --publicly -). you're right --he talks about personal life, what if we change a question from "personal" to "sex" life? Sometimes I wonder it it's just play on words.

@court - hi! yeh, the fun was rolling -)

marie said...

Once again, I leave the computer to run errands and chaos erupts!
I have no idea what I said that was offensive.

marie said...

One more thing..Did anyone see the new issue of "Out" magazine? Jake Shears is on the fromt cover and inside is a sketch of Anderson and some more punch lines at his expense.

Unknown said...

Came onto this post a bit late but I thought it was very well written. I think it's natural to wonder about him and who is or isn't with but there is a line that I think can be crossed way to easily. If people are being respectful of him then I think it's okay, but when it's being rude or disrespectful then I have a problem with it. Knowing certain information about someone and spreading it all over the internet are two different things. Just like what I may talk about with my friends over the phone isn't something I'd post all over the internet either. I respect him and I wouldn't say or do anything that would hurt him because I do care. Some so called "fans" that do spread crap all over the net can hardly call themselves fans, in my opinion.

Also, I do think there is a difference between talking about your family life and talking about your "private" life. I share stories about my family (good and bad) all the time but I don't really talk about who I'm sleeping with. That's no ones business.

Great blog!

MANIFESTO

Don't think for me. Don't assume what I want to hear or read. Give me facts. Give me reasons. But not yours. Bring me debate. Enlighten me. Today, accountability is masked behind anonymity; bylines are hidden by zeros and ones. Everyone publishes; everyone is "in the know." Ethics are non-existent. Speculation is king. The truth is masked and a hostage. Empowered by our minds, WE ARE THE FREAKSPEAKERS!

FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of environmental, political, news and humanitarian significance. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such material as provided in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with the title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this blog is distributed and available without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

If your obsession against us and our content endures, you might find more information at: Law.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the blog owner.