Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Kiss and Make Up

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Democratic Sen. John Kerry listens to testimony during a committee hearing on Capitol Hill in July 2006. Kerry said he is pulling back from campaigning ahead of next week's midterm elections to avoid the continued distraction created by his remarks that Americans who neglect their education would "get stuck in Iraq."(AFP/Getty Images/File/Chip Somodevilla)

BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC News Services

Updated: 16 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Thrust into the midst of the midterm election campaign, Sen. John Kerry apologized Wednesday to “any service member, family member or American who was offended” by remarks deemed by Republicans and Democrats alike to be insulting to U.S. forces in Iraq.

Six days before the election, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee said he sincerely regretted his words were “misinterpreted to imply anything negative about those in uniform.”

In a brief statement, Kerry attacked President Bush for a “failed security policy.” Yet his apology, issued after prominent Democrats had urged him to cancel public appearances, was designed to quell a controversy that party leaders feared would stall their drive for big gains on Nov. 7.

White House Secretary Tony Snow, in response to Kerry’s apology, said, “He did the right thing, and the important thing is that servicemen and women understand that America is behind them and want them to complete their mission successfully.”

Kerry beat a gradual retreat in his return to the national campaign spotlight. Earlier in the day, appearing on MSNBC TV's “Imus in the Morning,” the Massachusetts senator said he was “sorry about a botched joke” about President Bush. He heaped praise on the troops, adamantly accused Republicans of twisting his words and said it was the commander in chief and his aides who “owe America an apology for this disaster in Iraq.”

Read the rest of the article here

Saying you're sorry isn't all that difficult, is it?

I'd like to call on all bloggers to stop the nonsense. Let's put the past behind us and move on. Apologies all around and go back to blogging about our favorite things, whether that be politics, news, or Anderson. But the quarreling amongst ourselves should end. We don't have to be friends or even like each other, but let's at least try to cooperate.

Please?


You know, fandom is beyond my comprehension at times. I even wonder if it should be labeled as a "fandom" when you're talking about another human being--but that's a whole other can of worms for another post. (Hey...)

I've been a fan of U2 for years, and have met many different U2 fans from all over the world. Some of them are the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet and some are the biggest jerks I've ever known. Some of them have a healthy attitude towards the band, and some of them feel like the band owes them something.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I get a similar vibe from people who claim to be fans of Anderson Cooper. Some have a healthy appreciation for him and others are combative, competitive, and driven by something other than respect and admiration. I'm not trying to point fingers or call names; I'm just making a statement. I find the topic of fandom and fan relationships so interesting, I'd love to run a discussion just on those topics alone. I know, I'm kinda nerdy...

What I'm trying to say (rather poorly, I'll admit) is that we are a diverse group with many outlooks and ideas. I wish we could work together and grow a community instead of working against each other. That's all.

12 comentarios:

Jennifer said...

Nice post Courtney...but some people aren't forgiving and there are some in the Ander community who can't seem to practice what they preach.

I find it funny that a member of another Anderson "fan" blog that rips ours apart every chance they get, has had over 234 visits to our site.

Personally, I don't like their behavior towards our blog, but I'm willing to let bygones be bygones.

Jennifer said...

Just read your changes Court...

You're right. I don't understand why some consider other blogs "competitors". This is in an actual post on the now infamous blog.

We aren't selling a product, we all have the same information and we all claim to be fans of Cooper and his work. There is nothing to compete for, so I don't understand where that mentality comes from?!?

FreakSpeakers could be bragging about the number of hits we get everyday (and it's a real nice number), but what's the point? We do it for fun and because we are passionate about the material.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of getting along . . .

I saw an interview of the members a very exclusive club - the women in the US Senate. Regardless of political affiliation, they support each other because they decided they have more in common than not. They never campaign against each other because they feel they still have work to do to achieve equal footing with men. There are countries in the middle east that have a higher percentage of women in their governments than the US. Sheeesh.

Anyway, I think those of us who admire AC have more in common than not. The sniping is useless. Take a deep breath before you hit "send".

Anonymous said...

Hi Freaks - Okay, here's a question for you regarding semantics:

There was a story today on CNN about a man who was found guilty of genital mutilation of his daughter which is always refered to as "female circumcism". I sent feedback to every show from TSR to AC360 telling them that the brutal practice is more akin to "female castration". I guess the guys are not as comfortable with the word "castration".

The question is: Who writes the style book and are deviations allowed? Does each writer, reporter and anchor use their own words?

Leslie Stahl recently asked Nancy Pelosi about being "pro-abortion". Why didn't she ask about being "pro-choice"? Why does the news media parrot buzz words such as "death tax", "partial birth abortion" (there is no such medical term)?

Sorry, when I hear those genital mutilation stories I get so mad I could spit nails.

avalon

sorry about the anonymous thing, I can never get my password accepted.

courtney01 said...

@anon 6:24:

Great post. You are so right.

@avalon:

Hi there! As far as I know, there are a couple of different stylebooks or manuals (one is put out by the Associated Press every year), but I don't know much more than that. I'll leave it to Christiane and/or Jade to explain the rest. They are the pros around here! ;-)

The AP Stylebook is good to have even if you're not a pro.

Anonymous said...

Kerry should have done this yesterday, said what he said yesterday and today in one speach and take up less news time by doing that.
@ courtney, jade I agree with you -- I never understood where's the competition and why can't everybody co-exist and contribute to variety of views, perspectives and opinions. I don't see anything wrong in critisizing what's being said and published. But some people choose to attack others and other blogs in general, using something minor to blow up things out of proportion, instead of pointing out what exactly they aren't happy with-- what ideas or information-- and being able to have a healthy discussion. I thought that's the idea of a blog-)

MediaDoc said...

I just logged in and I feel attacked by piranhas... I simply believe in taking the high road. If you are not welcome in a place, why go? why participate if your comments are not well received? to be latter labeled as "lacking class" ... my mother taught me well.

Am I surprised? No. The core of those who attack us is their inconsistency and double standards. They don´t want me anywhere near them but latter complain that I didn´t post a congratulation note at their blog... go figure! Bi polar syndrome? For them I'm the devil encarnate. Maybe they fear what they don´t know or understand.

About not posting anything regarding "the issue" well, it is past 10 p.m. I just logged in, and wasn´t aware of what was going on. But I totally agree with my fellow freak bloggers in not posting anything related to it. Although I know they think it was my decision not to do so.

Jade´s judgement about it was dead on. The nature of The Shot is an editorial comment to ridicule something. Even the comments chosed by the CNN staff at the 360 official blog (among the thousands they receive on a daily basis) are not necessarly kind. And with this precise community there is no way to win. If you go your own way they attack you, and if we would have posted something we would have been accused of attacking them ( from their perspective). There is nothing that would please them. Probably only if we discontinue the blog, which is not happening - hopefully - any time soon.

I think every blog have its niche. Just as print publications. Some read the New York Post other The New York Times, Fox or CNN. I don´t see any competition. We are more intereseted in the editorial and business part.

Our editorial policy is never to compete. We rather follow our "own bliss".

And the anti FreakSpeaker campaing is reaching a ridicule level. It is childish, and a sad reflection of the reality of communities and its participants.

People do online what they wouldn´t even dare do in real life situations. They perceive the world through their expectations, needs, desires, fantasies, and feelings, and project those onto other people. For example, if they expect people to be critical of them, they perceive other people’s communication as being critical - it sounds critical to them even though it may not be. They do the same thing online; in fact they are more likely to project what they are online precisely because they don’t have the visual or auditory cues to guide them in their interpretations. How they “hear” an email or post is how they “hear” it in their own heads - isn't this sad?-, which may or may not reflect the tone or attitude of the poster.

I truly hope the people who spend a great amount of time obsessed in attacking this blog and its members are within an "online character" and doing it just for fun, if not, their reality must be pretty sad and the economic jackpot for any mental health practioner who might get in contact with them.

Just my two cents.

MediaDoc said...

Welcome Avalon!
I agree with Courtney, the AP stylebook is a must have.
I'm in a different market, and use the ones from Spain's El País and EFE.
Surely Jade can give you more info for English stylebooks.

Lee said...

I know I've said this before but I think this blog is fantastic. You post a lot of really good information and I've learned a lot from all of you. Of course, the Anderson photos are nice too. I have no idea how this "blog war" started but I certainly hope you don't let anyone force you to discontinue this blog.

marie said...

I agree that it does not matter what we say or don't say because it is a no-win situation.

MediaDoc said...

Thanks for your support Lee. We really appreciate it.

courtney01 said...

Hi, Lee. Thanks so much for your support. We appreciate it.

MANIFESTO

Don't think for me. Don't assume what I want to hear or read. Give me facts. Give me reasons. But not yours. Bring me debate. Enlighten me. Today, accountability is masked behind anonymity; bylines are hidden by zeros and ones. Everyone publishes; everyone is "in the know." Ethics are non-existent. Speculation is king. The truth is masked and a hostage. Empowered by our minds, WE ARE THE FREAKSPEAKERS!

FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of environmental, political, news and humanitarian significance. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such material as provided in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with the title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this blog is distributed and available without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

If your obsession against us and our content endures, you might find more information at: Law.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the blog owner.