Friday, November 24, 2006

Lou Dobbs: Champion of the Middle Class?


The rumors of bad blood between Anderson Cooper and Lou Dobbs still linger after Cooper's recent remarks at SMU (see text below). While Dobbs does come across as being arrogant, the man is, in my opinion, scary smart. I think in the end, Anderson and Lou probably get along, because I don't see Anderson as the type of person to air his dirty laundry or anyone else's in a public forum. Now how Paula and Wolf feel about Dobbs...that could be a different story!

And one more thing: JOHN ROBERTS....THE SHOW IS NOT CALLED "360". Stop trying to make us forget about Anderson....it won't happen!

CNN host Lou Dobbs says he gets to do what he calls "advocacy journalism," unlike colleagues Paula Zahn and Wolf Blitzer, because "they are quite different people than I am." Speaking to NPR's "On the Media," Dobbs adds:

"Immodestly let me say, one of the reasons would be my experience, my education, my analysis of the issues, and the empirical evidence and a demonstrated record, frankly, of knowing what I'm talking about."

The self-declared champion of the middle class (who, like Blitzer, is said to make millions) is challenged by "On the Media" co-host Bob Garfield over "inflammatory" journalism and declares: "I'm first of all an advocacy journalist, and I make no pretense of objectivity."

Meanwhile, is there bad-blood between Anderson Cooper and Dobbs? TVNewser suspects some, based on Cooper's recent speech at SMU: "I'm not like most anchors ... I don't like to hear myself speak, unlike most, like Lou Dobbs." (TVNewser)

6 comentarios:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! hope you have plenty of leftovers for the weekend...

About Lou Dubbs, personally I think he is a racist towards hispanics and his rants are bordeline hate speechs.

He surely has the credentials, but has proven that he doesn't have all the facts about Latin America. He has bagged all immigrants as mexicans, forgetting the complexity of the hispanic population profile in the USA, he has constantly and arrogantly disrespected hispanic leaders and journalists ( like Jorge Ramos and Maria Elena Salinas) and is on a crusade of calling two INS marshalls accused of killing two immigrants as heroes.

And I can go on and on!

courtney01 said...

I like Lou Dobbs and agree with most of what he has to say.

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get along; it's impossible for everyone in a workplace to like each other. :-)

I can't wait to read his book.

marie said...

Lou Dobbs looks just like a guy I saw once on a police program. He looks exactly like a guy who was being arrested for disturbing the peace. I remember this guy because he was living in a house that had a old, beat-up, yellow Camaro on cement blocks (no wheels) in the driveway. Just like the stuff you see on reruns of "Hee Haw."

A Song Made Famous On "Hee Haw":

Where, oh where, are you tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone?

I searched the world over, and thought I'd found true love.

You met another, and--pffft! you were gone!

Anonymous said...

I agree, Lou Dobbs may be right about a few things, but when he talks about immigration he knows as much about the topic as Bush knows about NUCULAR weapons!

sydney said...

This is just my opinion, and I may be totally wrong, but somehow I don't think Anderson would feel free to speak that way about Lou publicly unless they did get along. Anderson seems like the type that if they didn't get along, he just wouldn't say anything, at least not publicly.

Lee said...

I don't know if Anderson has a problem with Lou but I would think that he and Wolf are getting tired of trying to provide some balance to Lou's one-sided rants.

I don't have a problem with Lou exprssing an opinion but it would be nice if he a least attempted to present all the facts. In all of his stories about port security, I don't think I've ever heard him mention programs such as the Container Security Initiative or the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism.

On the other hand, I rarely watch his show so I may be making an unfair accusation.

MANIFESTO

Don't think for me. Don't assume what I want to hear or read. Give me facts. Give me reasons. But not yours. Bring me debate. Enlighten me. Today, accountability is masked behind anonymity; bylines are hidden by zeros and ones. Everyone publishes; everyone is "in the know." Ethics are non-existent. Speculation is king. The truth is masked and a hostage. Empowered by our minds, WE ARE THE FREAKSPEAKERS!

FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of environmental, political, news and humanitarian significance. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such material as provided in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with the title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this blog is distributed and available without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

If your obsession against us and our content endures, you might find more information at: Law.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the blog owner.