Thursday, November 09, 2006

BREAKING NEWS: Ed Bradley Dies

Today we learned that a remarkable journalist has died. I was actually at 60 Minutes in the middle of a screening when they got the call that Ed Bradley had died from leukemia.

I didn't know Ed personally. We'd only met once in passing, but I think all of us who watched him on 60 Minutes feel like we knew him.

He was a trailblazer who started working for CBS in Paris in 1971. He then went to Vietnam and also covered the war in Cambodia. I remember watching some of his old reports when CBS re-aired them on their short-lived cable channel. He always got close to the action and, in fact, was wounded in Cambodia by a mortar round.

Ed Bradley had been at 60 Minutes for 25 years, and it's hard to imagine the program without him. He was a scrupulously honest reporter, and always seemed to be a truly decent man.

He listened to those he interviewed, and the conversations were real. I recently saw the piece he did with producer John Hamlin profiling Muhammad Ali. There is a great moment when Ali pretends to fall asleep at a meal and then surprises Ed. The whole table breaks out laughing, and watching at home it was hard not to laugh along with them.

It is hard to believe Ed Bradley is gone.

Posted By Anderson Cooper: 12:25 PM ET

4 comentarios:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to learn this, very sad news... Bradley was such a remarkable journalist. Profound. I think he gave a speech at the last Emmys, just a month ago, it's hard to believe he's not with us... Rest in peace...

Anonymous said...

Rest in peace Ed. There was not a person who knew him or worked with him that had a bad thing to say about him. That's who he was as a human being. Journalism loses one of the great ones.

Jennifer said...

Every Sunday night when 60 Minutes began and I would see his face or his voice, I always thought how much I liked him as a journalist.

A great reporter whose work will long be remembered.

MediaDoc said...

I just arrived home, and It is the first thing I read. His legacy is inmense, he opened the doors for a lot of minorities and earned the respect of millions. Rest in peace.

MANIFESTO

Don't think for me. Don't assume what I want to hear or read. Give me facts. Give me reasons. But not yours. Bring me debate. Enlighten me. Today, accountability is masked behind anonymity; bylines are hidden by zeros and ones. Everyone publishes; everyone is "in the know." Ethics are non-existent. Speculation is king. The truth is masked and a hostage. Empowered by our minds, WE ARE THE FREAKSPEAKERS!

FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of environmental, political, news and humanitarian significance. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such material as provided in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with the title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this blog is distributed and available without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

If your obsession against us and our content endures, you might find more information at: Law.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the blog owner.