Friday, December 22, 2006

A Little CNN News for Your Friday...

Well, it's been a LONG week and I've barely had time to watch Cooper, thankfully I was home in time last night to catch a truly funny Anderson Cooper as we all watched the Rosie and Donald Show (I meant soap opera). While I'm having the festival of wrapping today, I plan on watching the highlight reel of the shows I missed this week. Thanks to my TiVo for recording them!

God bless the second slowest news week of the year, it gave us the AnderSnark we all know and love (and missed these past months!).


Here is some updated CNN News from the most trusted source for news...and no, it's not TVNewser...

Rick Sanchez
, a CNN anchor and correspondent, becomes the new prime-time weekend anchor for CNN Newsroom, it was announced today by Jon Klein, president of CNN/U.S. Sanchez, who is based in the network’s world headquarters in Atlanta, will also continue reporting for Anderson Cooper 360°.

“When Rick is on camera, you’ve just got to watch,” Klein said. “His passion for the news and natural gift for storytelling will be a welcome addition to our weekend coverage.” Since joining CNN in September 2004, Sanchez contributed to the network’s coverage of hurricanes such as Ivan and Jeanne and anchored CNN’s coverage when the New Orleans levees broke following Hurricane Katrina.

He has been part of the Anderson Cooper 360° reporting team for the last year, offering memorable stories such as the government’s airlift of illegal immigrants and, just last week, winter survival techniques for stranded hikers. He frequently uses his fluency in both English and Spanish to access unusual stories, as when he reported for the Anderson Cooper 360° special edition, “24 Hours on the Border.”

He also provided such coverage from Mexico City following congressional elections there and from Caracas, Venezuela, following President Hugo Chavez’s harsh criticism of U.S. President George W. Bush at the United Nation. Throughout his career, Sanchez has reported on major events across the United States and around the world, including on-the-scene coverage of the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center towers in New York City. Sanchez has also reported on wars in Afghanistan and Nicaragua, the invasion of Grenada and the fall of the Duvalier regime in Haiti. Additionally, Sanchez – who was born in Cuba and came to America at the age of 3 – has traveled to report live from Havana, Cuba, numerous times. Sanchez has also interviewed several prominent newsmakers, including Laura Bush, Jimmy Carter, Fidel Castro, Bill Clinton, Michael Gorbachev, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry and Manuel Noriega, among others.

Before joining CNN, Sanchez was an anchor for WTVJ/Channel 6 and an interim anchor for WBZL/Channel 39 in Miami. Prior to his tenure with the NBC affiliate, he worked for two years as a correspondent and anchor for MSNBC. Sanchez started his career as a television journalist at WSVN-TV Miami in 1982. He briefly worked as an anchor at KHOU-TV in Houston but soon returned to WSVN-TV. In Miami, he became the first person to both anchor a television news program and host a talk show on Spanish-language radio, El Show de Rick Sanchez. Sanchez joined MSNBC in 2001 as a correspondent and also delivered breaking news for CNBC and filed radio updates for NBC National radio. Sanchez’s professional honors include an Emmy Award and an American Medical Association “Distinguished Journalist Award.”

Sanchez studied journalism at the University of Minnesota.

I wonder how hard he studied because he kinda sucks, but that's just my opinion...

Thanks to liberation 337 for the cap.

9 comentarios:

Anonymous said...

I saw that Anderson Cooper thing as well, and thought it was extremely funny. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that anyone YT'ed it.

Lee said...

That was hilarious. I wish I'd recorded it but I didn't.

Jade, glad to see you're still here. I thought I saw something earlier in the week about you leaving.

Jennifer said...

Hey Lee...

Well, originally I didn't think I was going to be able to stick around, but we'll see what happens. You might just be seeing less of me for the time being...

Hey ng...

Welcome to the blog! I hope some YT'd that segment...it was priceless.

marie said...

Hi ng and lee!! :)

Jade, I am trying to take up some of the slack now since I know my schedule has been crazy the previous weeks and I could not do as much as I would have liked. Yep, it's make-up time for me. :)

Lee said...

Jade. I hope you can stick around. Freakspeakers just wouldn't be the same if any of you left.

Hi, Marie. Are you all ready for Christmas?

marie said...

@lee,
Yes, the cards were sent out two weeks ago, and all the gifts have been wrapped and shipped out as of Monday. I still have some baking to do tommorrow for a party I will be attending.

I did not put up a tree this year because we are pet-sitting so I only got the outside lights and the wall decorations up.

Have you finished all your holiday decorating and shopping?

Anonymous said...

I'm all done with X-mas shopping and everything is wrapped and under the tree. I put lights on the bushes outside and bought a small live evergreen tree and added lights to it that's outside my front door. I've been listening to Holiday music all day...I'm finally in the spirit and ready for the holidays.....

For those of you who didn't see the AC360 piece on The Donald/Rosie last night. CNN has it posted under "Best of TV" (so true) See link below.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/bestoftv/2006/12/21/cooper.rosie.donald.cnn

Hope everyone has a great holiday and thanks to the staff of FreakSpeakers for such a great blog!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anderson was just too funny on Thursday night. I suppose he's going to be on a break now, but at least he left us with something memorable, it really reminded me of 360 in the old days when he was allowed to show his sense of humor.

It's hard to take Rick Sanchez seriously, he's like a parody of a anchor/reporter, so completely over the top with the gesturing and such. I swear sometimes I can see a faint smirk on AC's face after a report by Rick. I can only imagine what Rick's colleagues must really think of his peculiar and bombastic "style".

Jennifer said...

Thanks lee ;)

Agh...wrapping is all done, today the onslaught of family begins. My brothers house is overfull, so I'll have my niece and nephew all weekend. Did I mention that we'll be baking all day today?

Where is that bottle of clear liquid I call "Santa's Little Helper"???

MANIFESTO

Don't think for me. Don't assume what I want to hear or read. Give me facts. Give me reasons. But not yours. Bring me debate. Enlighten me. Today, accountability is masked behind anonymity; bylines are hidden by zeros and ones. Everyone publishes; everyone is "in the know." Ethics are non-existent. Speculation is king. The truth is masked and a hostage. Empowered by our minds, WE ARE THE FREAKSPEAKERS!

FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of environmental, political, news and humanitarian significance. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such material as provided in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with the title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this blog is distributed and available without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

If your obsession against us and our content endures, you might find more information at: Law.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the blog owner.